Through our educational field trips, students learn about science, history or math; art and culture; mining history; and geology. The trip starts with the exhibits at the Visitor Center, a view of the open cut, and an educational activity. You can also choose to take tours of the Historic Homestake Opera House , the Black Hills Mining Museum and a surface tour at Sanford Lab.
- Tour the simulated underground gold mine
- Pan for gold (extra charge)
- Tour the Opera House
- Experience this huge theater built in 1914 that boasted a heated indoor swimming pool, a bowling alley, and billiards hall. Experience the amazing acoustics, climb the grand staircase to the new Interpretive Exhibit, and plan to attend one of 50 year-round concerts, theatre, and events.
- Learn about the geology that led to the area’s gold
- Learn about what is going on underground and why researchers are working 4850 feet below ground
- Participate in a scavenger hunt around the facility
- Science Experiments from edible chemistry to molecule madness!
Customize a Program for Your Class
- 1.5 Hours: Choose 1 activity
- 3 Hours: Choose 2 activities
- Full Day: Choose 3 or more activities
All activities are STEAM oriented for grades 3-5 or 6-8 in history. Picnic area available for outdoor lunch at Manuel Brothers Park adjacent to the Sanford Lab Homestake Visitor Center.
$3.00-$10.00 / student
* Price dependent on number of activities.
** Teachers, chaperons and bus drivers are free of charge.